Following Paul Pogba’s record move to Manchester United, NAIJ.com Sports compiles the list of the top ten most expensive transfer ever in football.
The Frenchman reportedly joined the former English champions in a deal worth over £100m ($131m).
The likes of Zinedane Zidane and Angel Di Maria have moved for huge sums and NAIJ.com Sports recounts the most expensive transfers of all time;
1. Zinedine Zidane | Juventus To Real Madrid | 2001 | €73.5m (N33,075,000,000): When Zidane joined Madrid in 2001, he moved as the most expensive player of all time. He went on to win La Liga and the Champions League with Los Blancos.
2. Kevin De Bruyne | Wolfsburg To Manchester City | 2015 | €74m (N33,300,000,000): De Bruyne returned to English football for a deal which was too good to be turned down Wolfsburg. The Belgian socred 16 goals and assisted 15.
3. Angel Di Maria | Real Madrid To Manchester United | 2014 | €75m (N33,750,000,000): When Di Maria moved to Louis Van Gaal’s Manchester United in 2014, it was a British record transfer fee. Much was expected of the Argentine but he never settled at Old Trafford and he left one season after for PSG.
4. James Rodriguez | Monaco To Real Madrid | 2014 | €75m (N33,750,000,000) : After a stellar 2014 World Cup with Columbia, James joined Los Blancos and it is safe to say all had not gone to plan for the 24-year-old.
5. Luis Suarez | Liverpool To Barcelona | 2014 | €81.7m (N36,765,000,000): Leaving Liverpool for Barcelona was always going to happen after scoring 33 Premier League goals in the 2013/2014 season.
He has been a great signing for Barcelona winning seven titles and became the first player to break the Ronaldo/Messi duopoly on the La Liga top scorer award since 2009.
6. Neymar | Santos To Barcelona | 2013 | €88.2m (N39,690,000,000): Another successful buy for Barcelona and forming part of the fabled MSN at the Catalan club.
The Brazilian captain has won the treble and even came third in the Ballon d’Or voting earlier this year. At 24, the best is yet to come.
7. Gonzalo Higuain | Napoli To Juventus | 2016 | €90m (N40,500,000,000): A recent move having joined from Juve from Serie A rivals Napoli. The striker was brought in to bring the Champions League trophy for the Biaconeiri, but his record in big games is mediocre at the least.
8. Cristiano Ronaldo | Manchester United To Real Madrid | 2009 | €94m (42,300,000,000): When Ronaldo left Old Trafford in 2009, he was the Ballon d’Or holder, but a certain Lionel Messi was already seen as the best in the world by then.
Nevertheless, the Portuguese has been a great signing for Madrid with two Copa Del Rey title, two Champions League title and one La Liga title in six years.
9. Gareth Bale | Tottenham To Real Madrid | 2013 | €101m (N45,450,000,000): Bale broke Ronaldo’s transfer fee by moving to Real Madrid also (Madrid really like to break the transfer record) and has been rewarded with two Champions League titles and one Copa Del Rey.
10. Paul Pogba | Juventus To Manchester United | 2016 | €110m(N49,500,000,000): And finally, the man who has everyone talking; Paul Pogba. Having bought Higuain from Napoli, Juventus sold Pogba to his former club.
Will Pogba bring titles to United like he did with Juventus?