One of the attributes of Jose Mourinho’s radical behaviour is hitting out on players whom he feels cannot fit into his plans for reasons best known to him.
The recent treatment meted on Bastian Schweinsteiger is not the first of its kind that has caused a stir between the Special One and a big player.
All through his coaching career with Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and now Manchester United, the Portuguese tactician has always made his feeling known to players he can not work with.
Here are the five players that had issues with Mourinho
1. Adrian Mutu: The Romanian striker was the first player to have a feel of Mourinho’s antics. Though he had contending issues with his private life, the Romanian was repeatedly kept on the bench by Mourinho as their relationship as coach and player did not gel.
2. Juan Mata: Mourinho’s return Chelsea in 2013 did not go down well with the Spanish midfielder who in the previous season was voted the club’s player of the year.
In the January 2014 transfer window, Mata was on his way to Manchester United who bid highest for the former Valencia midfielder as experts believed the player could not cope with the Mourinho’s aggressive tactics.
3. Samuel Eto’o: Mourinho was caught off guard in a meeting where he stated that the former Barcelona striker was lying about his real age and the Cameroonian responded by celebrating a goal behaving like an old man.
The four time African Player of the Year had his own pound of flesh but did not escape the hammer from the controversial coach as he was not listed for some matches.
4. Diego Costa: The Brazilian born Spanish striker was banished to the bench because of fitness problems in the beginning of the 2015/2016 season in the Premier League.
Costa took a swipe at his coach when he threw a bib at bench when he was unused as substitute after he was told to warm up on the sidelines.
5. Iker Casillas: Once Mourinho sets his mind to axe a player he would go all the way in achieving it without minding how important the player is to the club.
Casillas was dropped from Real Madrid’s first team and Diego Lopez was given the task to become number one and he did not fail to deliver.
The Spanish captain accused Mourinho of victimizing him because he has been communicating with Barcelona players while on international duty.