PDP’s ‘Coffin’ Still In Police Custody (See Photo)



The defeat suffered by President Goodluck Jonathan, who contested the March 28 presidential election on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, has been mourned by many chieftains and supporters of the party across the country.


Many have said that the loss of power at the centre may signal the death of the party which hitherto prided itself as the largest political party in Africa.

To further rub salt on PDP’s injury, a thug who, not too long ago, ‘ported’ from the PDP’s leaky umbrella, organised a ‘befitting’ funeral for the party, which has spent just 16 years out of the initial 60-year rule that one of its leaders predicted.

The funeral procession filed out after Prof. Attahiru Jega declared Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari winner of the presidential poll.

The thug, now basking in the euphoria of the winning streak of the All Progressives Congress, hired an itinerant musical group and undertakers to lead the procession.

The ‘mourners’ sang the funeral durgex they composed for the PDP and danced vigorously round Osogbo, the Osun State capital, even in the scorching sun of the day.

The pall bearers carried the coffin wrapped in the PDP colour. The singers and the drummers, with about six trumpeters, entertained all that cared. But those loyal to the PDP watched the procession with suppressed anger.

Some broom-wielding excited youths, who were part of the funeral procession, ‘refuelled’ their system with some sachets of intoxicant popularly called pelebe, to be able to weather the stress.

Interestingly, the funeral rite in Osogbo coincided with the outburst of a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr. Godsday Orubebe, at the venue of the announcement of the result of the presidential poll in Abuja.

Residents living around Olaiya Junction and Odi Olowo, who saw the procession, thought the remains of the Africa’s largest party were going to be interred at a cemetery in the Oke-Nla area. But a visit to the Police Criminal Investigation Department in Osogbo on Thursday (yesterday) by our correspondent revealed that the police did not allow the ‘corpse’ to rest despite the ‘ Rest in Peace’ boldly printed on the coffin.

The coffin, which is now in police custody, is on a bus which has been on the same spot for years.

A policeman on duty jokingly said the coffin was still in police custody because the owners had yet to meet the bail conditions.

He said that the investigating police officer had vowed not to release it, even if the Minister of Police Affairs, JelilimAdesiyan, who is from Osun State, showed up to secure its release.

Article Bottom