The president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has reportedly made his first appointment by making Femi Adeshina his special adviser on media and publicity.
Adeshina’s purported appointment is already eliciting reactions from Nigerians in the blogosphere as the news has got people contributing their opinions for or against his appointment.
Some people have also been asking who Femi Adeshina is, his experience in the media industry and what must have influenced the decision to appoint him.
Naij.com has dug deep into the profile of the media guru to bring you 10 things you need to know about him. Read below:
1. He is the managing director and editor-in-chief of The Sun newspaper.
2. He is the current president of the Nigeria Guild of Editors, a very powerful and influential group in society consisting of senior editors in the Nigerian media industry.
4. In his office, he is called “A Buharist”, an indication that he is a firm supporter of the president-elect.
5. He writes a widely read column on the back page of the newspaper every Friday with the title – “Before The Cock Crows”.
6. He is widely regarded as the best president the Guild of Editors have ever had because of his constant vocal support for journalists’ welfare.
7. In 2007, he was named the Editor of the Year by the Nigeria Media Merit Award. He has been a practicing journalist for over 28 years.
8. He started his career at Vanguard Newspaper and he is the pioneer editor of The Sun newspaper.
9. He is married to Nike Adeshina and they are blessed with children.
10. He is not a fan of the social media as he neither has a Facebook or Twitter account for now.
Adeshina’s appointment is ironical due to the fact that The Sun newspaper published offensive adverts against Buhari, as promoted by the Ekiti state governor, Ayo Fayose.